In our day-to-day work activities we apply green, environment-friendly measures that include:-
• using biodegradable, non-toxic and eco-friendly grounds maintenance products
• re-using and recycling materials wherever possible
• segregating recyclables at source
• minimising the use of paper in office administration and applying electronic media so as to print only when necessary
• long-distance collaboration through document sharing technology
• reducing the need for business trips through video-conferencing and teleworking
• consistent use of energy-efficient lighting and equipment, for example using electrical products that have power saving features
• Powering down equipment when not required for immediate use or to ensure continuity of braking or lighting supply.
Environmental Waste Carrier
Yards Apart Ltd is a registered carrier under regulation 3 of the Controlled Waste (Registration of Carriers and Seizure of Vehicles) Regulations 1991. We support local and national strategies for sustainable waste management. We have progressively cut down on the amount of waste produced in our operations and have consistently increased the quantities of materials that we re-use and send for recycling. Materials that cannot be recycled are removed promptly from site and disposed of safely in compliance with the Controlled Waste (Duty of Care) Regulations 1992, Hazardous Waste Regulations 2005, and Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations 2006.
Before the start of a grounds maintenance or amenity weed control contract we prepare a Site Waste Management Plan to identify, among other items:
• the categories and streams of wastes that will be generated
• resource management and disposal options, particularly opportunities for reuse or recycling
• measures to minimise waste through prudent ordering, careful handling, provision of adequate storage, and planning the sequencing of deliveries.
• the proposed methods of storage, handling and transportation
• record-keeping, reporting and monitoring procedures
• waste auditing protocols.
We carry out the works in such a way that correct quantities of material are ordered at the outset and are stored properly so as to minimise the amount of waste to be disposed of. All possible avenues for recycling waste are investigated before and during the works, and segregation of all wastes is undertaken on site.
Our operatives clear away all waste as work proceeds, and ensure it is stored in a safe and secure manner and, when segregated, placed in an appropriate skip/container.
All wastes are disposed of in accordance with legislative requirements. Green waste is sent for recycling and composting. We dispose of the following wastes separately from other construction waste: oily waste, including contaminated rags and spill granules, oil filters, aerosols, gas canisters, batteries, fluorescent tubes, sodium light fittings and packaging that contains or has contained hazardous liquid, resin, adhesive, mastic or powder.